Monday 18 November 2013

Top 5 Pins of the Week: Quotable Quotes Edition

It's another rainy Monday here in Sydney, so I've been feeling philosophical. Perhaps that's why I've decided to dedicate this Monday's 'Top 5 Pins' post to quotable quotes! Sure, there are thousands of quotes out there that I could include, but these are the 5 that jumped out at me this week. You can find them all on the Little Green Quotes Pinterest Board.

5. Sir Edmund Hillary

Source

Sir Edmund Hillary was 'an ordinary chap' from New Zealand who was one of the first people to reach the summit of Mt Everest. His words are so very true and may help your students realise that they can overcome their own 'Everest'.

4. Todd Whitaker

Source

I don't know who Todd Whitaker is, but his words ring true. What we do as teachers matters, and there are some days when the weight of that responsibility weighs very heavily upon our shoulders. The best kind of teachers are those who understand that responsibility, but keep showing up and giving their best. If you are one of those people, kudos to you!

3. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Source

I absolutely love this poster - both the words of the quote and the artwork are beautiful! Did I mention that I love books?

2. Charles Mingus

Source

The late, legendary jazz bass player Charles Mingus was an incredibly creative man throughout his whole life. He continued to write music until his death, knowing that he would never be able to finish it. His words, for me, are true for all creative pursuits, including the creation of lessons and resources. How often do we over-complicate what is essentially simple?! One of our jobs as educators is to come up with creative ways of helping our students understand a concept. Stay creative, friends!

1. Andy Warhol

Source

Yep, Warhol! He was a wacky guy, but he certainly lived by this statement! And again, this applies to more than just 'art'. As teachers, we are often judged, and while we certainly need to take constructive feedback on board, we don't need approval from every man and his dog! We are all on our own journey - as long as we constantly strive to be better at what we do, we are moving forward on that journey. I will be taking a leaf out of Warhol's book from now on - I'll just keep right on creating lessons and resources that will get better and better!

I hope you have been inspired by the quotes I chose. Are there any quotes that I've missed here that would be in your current top 5? Feel free to share them in the comments. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment